SMG Public Safety Event Staff in Columbus, Ohio
The Public Safety Event Staff is responsible for monitoring the crowd behavior and the safety and security of our guests at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The Campus includes 4 Parking Areas, 2 food courts, 4 exhibit halls, 6 ballrooms, more than 50 meeting rooms within 2 million square feet of space. You will be called upon to greet guests as they arrive, check bags and perform visual checks of guests, manage crowds, secure doors and monitor specific locations throughout the venue, and act as roving or posted security. As the "eyes and ears" of the campus, you are expected to keep a close watch on the crowd and intervene in situations when appropriate and call for assistance when it is needed. You are on the "front line" and will experience the excitement and energy of the event. This position is also customer service oriented. Assists in event related activity as required.
- Greet guests as they enter and leave the event,
- Answer questions; resolve complaints, and give directions,
- Enforce campus policies and procedures,
- Report suspicious activity and violations of campus policy,
- Provide crowd management and assist with crowd movement,
- Must have the ability to interact with guests in a friendly, courteous and polite manner. This will include initiating contact with guests within 10 feet -- i.e. smiling, saying "Good Day" or offering assistance when needed.
- Must feel comfortable when around large groups or speaking to a guest, as needed
- Understands the importance of providing customer service and in understanding of "The Magic is in the Details"
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Additional Functions may include:
- Check Tickets/scan tickets in correspondence with events needs
- Respond to guest conflicts, medical situations, and other incidents
- Complete written incident reports
- Secure locations and prohibit access to unauthorized individuals
- Follow established code of conduct and safety procedures
- Provide exceptional service to all patrons
- Must obtain and maintain employer sponsored Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA) certification, if applicable.
Knowledge: Working knowledge of security and safety functions and customer service techniques preferred, but not required;
Job Requirements: (Some may not be required, but preferred)
- High School Diploma/GED
- Working knowledge of Security and Public Safety functions
- Customer Service Techniques
- Must be able to use a two-way radio with an earpiece at all times
- Must maintain a professional appearance at all times
- Must be able to keep information confidential
- Must be able to pass Pre-employment Background check as well as random checks during employment
- Must be able to pass Pre-Employment drug test as well as random drug testing during employment
Experience: Previous experience as a Security officer or Guest Services Professional. Law Enforcement, Military, Fire, or Emergency Medical Service background preferred but not required.
Skills/Aptitudes: Must possess oral and written communication skills and be able to follow instructions; able to qualify under existing state security guidelines; physical ability to walk, climb steps, stand/walk for up to 8 hours; must be fluent in English language; must be willing and able to work with a wide variety of individuals from varying socioeconomic backgrounds; attention to detail; conflict resolution skills preferred.
Working Conditions: May be exposed to adverse weather conditions for long periods of time; ability to work flexible hours in addition to normal business hours as needed; must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs; must be able to stand for long periods of time. May be exposed to physical confrontations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled