Defense Acquisition University Professor of Facilities Engineering in Kettering, Ohio
About the Agency
Are you ready to help a world-class university take on the challenges of reaching over 150,000 learners worldwide? The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) is the recognized leader as a corporate university, advancing the use of technology in all areas of education. The professional faculty and staff at DAU work in a strong team environment to continuously improve the ways we help our students learn by delivering the right knowledge and skills at the point of need. Come join this dynamic team using your expertise to make a real impact in the acquisition community.
As a Professor of Facilities Engineering, you will:
- apply your knowledge, experience, leadership and technical managerial skills to teach and facilitate higher levels of learning for the Department of Defense Acquisition workforce for specific areas under the field of facilities engineering
- teach and facilitate higher levels of learning for the Department of Defense Acquisition workforce for specific areas under the field of facilities engineering
- support organizations within the Department of Defense on facilities engineering with onsite workshops and intact team training
- develop and manage course material, learning assets and learning products for the facilities engineering career field
- consult with DoD and/or non-DoD clients in areas related to facilities engineering
- other duties as assigned
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 30%
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This announcement is open to all U.S. Citizens.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
For optimum consideration, please ensure your resume reflects how your experience and educational achievements are related to key functional areas of this position including: experience, teaching abilities, mission assistance/consulting, and curriculum development. Current Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) level 3 certification in the Facilities Engineering career field or equivalent professional certification is required or have the ability to obtain this certification within 24 months of appointment.
Objective: We are seeking facilities engineering experts within the Department of Defense who have a demonstrated ability for teaching what they know. Well qualified candidates will have experience in multiple areas, such as services, supplies, construction, architect-engineer services, research & development, major systems, and contingency contracting. Well qualified candidates will also have experience in various locations, and working for different DoD agencies. For optimal consideration, please ensure your resume reflects the below evaluation criteria for this vacancy.
- Facilities Engineering Experience: Describe in detail the depth and breadth of your facilities engineering experience in the Department of Defense (DoD) or other federal agency. Preferred areas of experience: contracting and/or program management related to facilities engineering; processes used in real estate, planning, design, construction, maintenance, and disposal; infrastructure developed in civil works projects; how well it co-exists with the surrounding environment (environmental professionals with direct knowledge on how environmental considerations are integrated into facility life cycle); total ownership cost management; and how it is managed in the Defense acquisition system. A professional engineer (PE) or registered architect (RA) certification is desired.
- Foundational Learning (Teaching): Ability to teach and facilitate adult learning. This includes: the ability to communicate (orally and in writing) complex managerial material to students with different backgrounds and experiences; a proficiency in delivery methods such as guided discussions, short lectures, role plays, problem-based learning (PBL) and case studies; the ability to incorporate the learner's experience into the learning process along with the ability to motivate learners to participate actively in the learning process; and the ability to organize information. Typical courses are 1, 2, or 4 weeks in duration. Instruction is provided both on campus and off-site, which will require travel (TDY).
- Performance Learning (Consulting): Ability to consult with DoD clients at various levels of authority from mid-grade to general officers/SES, including but not limited to areas related to both pre- and post-award contracting/acquisition to include the ability to assist in guiding acquisition strategy development, the acquisition planning process, source selection and contract administration.
- Learning Asset Management: Ability to manage or develop both in-residence and online learning assets/products for the facilities engineering career field or other DoD Acquisition Workforce members. This ability must include the continuous assessment, currency, and quality of these artifacts. Describe any experience with distance learning, continuous learning modules and communities of practice.
- Leadership and Resource Management: Identify and describe both your leadership and management experience in organizations within the DoD and/or private sectors; include team leadership as well as supervisory leadership. Describe your experience with the management of an organization's resources relating to its programs and operations.
Pay Band A: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Bachelor's Degree and have at least 4 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either government or industry.
Pay Band B: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Master's Degree in a related area from an accredited college or university and at least 6 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either a government or industry position.
Pay Band C: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Master's Degree in a related area from an accredited college or university and at least 8 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either a government or industry position.
- This is a Critical Acquisition position.
- You must have achieved DAWIA Level III certification in Facilities Engineering or alternatively, you must have the ability to obtain the required certification for the position within 24 months of appointments.
- If selected for this position, you MUST be able to begin work within 90 days of acceptance
- You will be required to join the DAU Faculty Plan as established by Title 10 of the US Code. This position is in the excepted service (non-career). Candidates currently in the competitive service will be required to sign a statement indicating that they are leaving the competitive services voluntarily to accept an appointment in the excepted service.
- If selected for this position, you are subject to the completion of a satisfactory background investigation.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. ALL eligible candidates will be forwarded to DAU for consideration. DAU will have a panel review all applicants and will contact individuals for interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to drive status updates notification for applicants. You can elect to activate the proactive notification from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process to sign-up for automatic alerts when there are status changes for jobs to which you have applied.
Review our benefits
- Initial appointment is made for a period of four years, conditional upon satisfactory completion of a DAU trial period of one year. Every year, as part of an annual review, consideration is given to extending the appointment; thus service at DAU can be extended indefinitely.
- Initial Trial Period: You will be required to serve an initial trial period of 1 year if one has not already been completed.
- DAU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. DAU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
- For additional information on specific health benefits, life insurance, retirement, etc. please visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp.
- For additional information on the Thrift Savings Plan please visit: http://www.tsp.gov.
- For additional Veteran's information please visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/VetPreference.asp or http://www.fedshirevets.gov
- Typical courses are 1 to 2 weeks in duration. Instruction is provided in government classroom facilities under the construct of generally seeking to take the instruction to the students.
- Salary determination is based on the requirements of the position as well as the qualifications of the selected applicant as aligned with the evaluation criteria for each Pay Band.
- Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf.
- The Department of Defense is committed to maintaining an ethical culture and upholding the principles of ethical conduct.As a DoD Employee, you will be subject to the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch as well as the criminal conflict of interest statutes.As a new Government employee, or as a new employee to this Department, you will be required to receive initial ethics orientation within 3 months of appointment.Information on ethics regulations applicable to DoD employees can be obtained from the DoD Standards of Conduct Office website at:http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defenseethics/
- This position may be subject to drug testing. If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476735200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-24
Salary: $100,000 to $130,000 / per year
Pay scale & grade: AD 00
Series: 0801 General Engineering
Appointment type: Term - 4 years
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: DAU-10036740-MWT068F-17
Control number: 476735200