Defense Finance and Accounting Service Systems Accountant in Columbus, Ohio
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
- Designs, develops, tests, evaluates, implements, reviews and maintains major segments of accounting finance and reporting systems.
- Defines, establishes and develops functional accounting requirements and specifications for applicable systems and interfaces.
- Conduct the testing of system changes including establishing conditions and requirements for system testing, including the development of test scripts, formulation of a test plan, staffing of resources in test group, arranging for test platform and execution of test events.
- Build or modify a micro-application to install technical solutions according to system change requests, functional requirements, or resolution of system problems.
- Researches, analyzes, and resolves daily system problems related to system interface, database management, and processing cycles. Provides technical advice in determining the extent of the system problem, potential solutions, and required action for resolution.
- Reviews or evaluates governing legislation, directives, regulations and policies to provide authoritative interpretations and functional recommendations.
- Advises supervisors and senior managers on major system issues, associated risks, functional impact, and data integrity.
- Occasional Travel
- The travel requirement for this position is 15% or less.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment in Federal Service
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
This position has a basic education requirement as follows:
- Bachelor's degree with 24 semester hours/36 quarter hours of accounting (up to 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours may be in Business Law). OR
- Combination of education and experience-at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. In addition, your background MUST include one of the following:
- 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; or
- A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination. You may need to send proof of education or of certification to be considered for this position. Click here for more information on who must submit documentation at the time of application and what documentation is acceptable: Transcripts and Certifications.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-11) in the Federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Applying professional knowledge of accounting principles, policies, and procedures in the development, design, revision, and evaluation of automated accounting systems and subsystems to support an assigned area. Examples of qualifying specialized experience: Reviewing and analyzing accounting records and financial reports to assure activities meet operational, legislative, and regulatory requirements; providing support to a diverse group of internal and external customers utilizing knowledge of accounting systems and accounting practices, independently performing accounting work related to the design, development, testing, evaluation and implementation of new and/or modified systems and to participate in the development of accounting policies and procedures, analyzing user requirements, and testing software releases, and solving accounting systems problems in particularly difficult and responsible circumstances.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-11 or higher grade in the Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after initial competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This position requires a Secret clearance. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is 15% or less.
- This position iscovered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472429600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $74,319.00 to $96,618.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0510-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: DFAS Permanent Civilian Employees
Control Number: 472429600
Job Announcement Number: CO-10019556-17