Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Program Support Assistant (Fisher House) in Cincinnati, Ohio
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1972756
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
At the Cincinnati VA Medical Center, our duty is to make sure Veterans receive the finest health care available within our resources. We are devoted to providing primary health care, specialized care, and mental health service to Veterans whom reside within a 50 mile radius of the Medical Center serving veterans in the states of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. For more information, please visit our web site. Cincinnati is ranked 73rd out of the 100 Best Cities in the nation, according to Livability.com. The ranking was created based on economic, healthcare, housing, civic capital, education, amenities, demographic and infrastructure scores. In the health care category alone, Cincinnati ranked #2 in the nation! For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The Department of Veterans' Affairs Medical Center located in Cincinnati, OH is currently looking for a Full-Time, Permanent Program Support Assistant (PSA). This position is located in the Mental Health Care Line (MHCL). This Program Support Assistant has the day-to-day responsibility to provide clerical support to the Mental Health Care Line division which this staff member is assigned to. Deployed from the Office of the Director, the incumbent ensures that all administrative functions are completed in a timely manner to allow the clinical staff to provide quality patient care and that all operational objectives of the team are met.
This position is assigned to Voluntary Service and works under the supervision of the Fisher House Manager. The incumbent is responsible for assisting the Fisher House Manager in all aspects of the Fisher House Program. They will work closely with the Fisher House Manager in coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Fisher House. In support of these programs, there are numerous advisory and technical duties the incumbent must master to keep the Fisher House functioning at its optimal level. The incumbent will work off-tours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Operations include a wide range of functions and the incumbent is the point of contact for initial inquiries to include lodging eligibility, referral processes, staff/volunteer opportunities, monetary donations and the appropriateness and offer of in-kind donations; as well as community, guest, patient, military liaison and clinical staff inquiries regarding policies, procedures and standards.
- In addition, the incumbent assists with Fisher House events and supply management, both of which require full knowledge and understanding of appropriated and non-appropriated accounts, to include general post funds and refurbishment funds.
- The incumbent applies knowledge of appropriated and non-appropriated accounts to secure needed items and supplies for the guests' comfort, such as replacement items (i.e., linens, furnishings, food, etc.) and with planning of various programs in support of the guests (i.e., luncheons, holiday gifts, etc.).
- The incumbent serves as the purchase order clerk for the submission of VA Form 2237s for the request, turn-in and receipt for property or services.
- The incumbent coordinates all files management and is responsible for the management of all equipment and supplies. As the Fisher House is a non-medical setting, the incumbent must be able to assess and handle urgent situations and take appropriate actions during off-tour hours, to include interaction with the Emergency Department, Safety Office, Police & Security, Facilities Management, etc. This level of independent judgment is crucial while working off-tour hours without immediate supervisory presence.
- The incumbent resolves day-to-day problems related to the program and keeps the Fisher House Manager informed of situations than cannot be easily resolved or that may have an impact on guest safety or be beyond the immediate scope of the program.
- Incumbent will be the only staff member present in the Fisher House for half of their duty day during the week and all day on week-end shifts.
- The incumbent provides administrative and clerical support necessary to support the management and coordination of the Fisher House, off site lodging at local hotels and Hotels for Heroes Programs.
- This work entails receipt of referrals via Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS), assessment of eligibility, and response to referring source via replies and updates through CPRS.
- They will maintain data on all overflow lodging needs.
Work Schedule: Sunday - Thursday 10:30am-7:00pm Position Description Title/PD#: Program Support Assistant PD#085570
- Not Required
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Time in Grade Requirments must be met by the closing date of this posting
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-6 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-5 level.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to:
Establishing priorities and suspenses to ensure the needs of the service are met.
Reviewing and updating internal memoranda and service-wide policies and procedures.
Implementing policies and procedures in accordance with established guidelines.
Recording, transcribing and preparing minutes from meetings.
Gathering data, performing analysis and interpreting policy and procedural information in order to give advice and guidance and to make decisions or recommendations.
Processing incoming and outgoing materials such as correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other forms of written communication.
Scheduling appointments, coordinating meetings, and/or schedules conferences.
Performing work involving the collection, compilation, and/or tracking of data and statistical information.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no educational substitution for the GS-05 level.
The duties and responsibilities of the position require mobility between various floors and rooms within the Fisher House and between the Fisher House and various other buildings at the hospital. The work is primarily sedentary with some standing, stooping, reaching, bending and lifting up to 40 pounds. This includes preparation of programs, occasional moving/lifting of equipment (100 cup coffee pot, boxes of donated items), etc. The incumbent must be composed at all times while providing customer service to guests experiencing emotional and or physical stress.
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
After you Submit Your Application... After the Human Resources Department receives your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed by a Human Resources Specialist to determine if you meet the requirements. You will be notified by e-mail when this decision is made. What happens when your application is referred? If you meet all of the requirements of this position, your application package will be referred to the Selecting Official in Mental Health. Once the Selecting Official in Mental Health (which is not the HR Specialist) looks over the applications, he/she will then decide if they would like to contact you for an interview. The interview will be arranged and coordinated by the Selecting Official. You will be notified by e-mail if your name is referred to the Selecting Official in Mental Health. After interviewing is Complete... Once the Selecting Official decides on a candidate for the position, they will send the certificate back to Human Resources and all other candidates that are not selected will once again be notified of the outcome via the e-mail address provided. What does the pre-appointment process entail? At this point a tentative offer will be made to the applicant that the Mental Health Selecting Official chooses. If you are selected for this position a number of pre-employment requirements must be met before a final commitment of employment can be made. There are a number of steps in the pre-employment process. Failure to complete the pre-employment process within three (3) calendar days will result in withdrawal of the tentative employment offer. Once the selected applicant completes all requirements & all requirements have been verified, you will be contacted by a Human Resources Specialist to discuss an official start date and commitment package.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information on about CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
Candidates selected for this position are not required to file financial disclosure.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472327400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $38,030.00 to $49,443.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0303-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This position is open to current permanent employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Control Number: 472327400
Job Announcement Number: NV-17-JMS-1972756-BU